About Me...

I am once again thinking out of my comfort zone and it is scary! It is much easier for me to write down my life stories with pen and paper however I gave that up years ago and have regretted not keeping up my journal ever since. Make no mistake ( not that you were going to)I must let you know that, I am not a writer. I was that little girl in elementary, yea the one that everyone looked at because I had so many circles and marks on my paper that you couldn't even tell what I had originally wrote. There was a reason I didn't like Miss White and she didn't like me, but even more I hated her red marker that she used to scribble all those corrections on my paper with. However that's another story yet to tell. But I do have lasting memories of that old battleax telling me that my sentences were way to long, used commas in all the wrong places and used too many exclamation marks!!!! I felt what I had to say was exciting and through the years have continued to use too many !!!!!!'s...and, commas in, all the wrong, places. I'm also not so good about proof reading my work before I submit it. You see it scares me because I have written huge stories before and when I pushed the send button, it goes somewhere never to be found and then I am forced into saying a swear word and I don't have the desire to rewrite it again!!! I guess Miss White was right about the long sentences. They say to place a comma where you would pause while saying a sentence but, since I don't pause much while talking I don't really know where to place the comma. Well anyways, I needed something to do in my spare time so I figured I would give this a try! Good luck everyone especially you Miss White wherever you are!

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Pageants just aint my thang!!!

Today I was watching a rerun of Oprah that I had recorded earlier. Barbara Streisand was on and she has always been my favorite. As a teenager I would constantly try to emulate Barbara, Olivia Newton-John and Cher. Watching her this afternoon reminded me of when I was in Jr. High. I have always loved singing. In Jr. High my teacher Mr. Rich discovered that I had a singing voice and encouraged me to preform in public. He would help me by training me how to breath correctly and at the right times and all the things that go along with that. I could practice for hours and looked forward to the times that he worked with me. He would then have me preform solos at school events and encourage me to do school musicals. He believed in me and helped me overcome the terror I felt when preforming in front of others. One time he let me choose the song I was to preform. It was "The way we were" or "Memories" sung by Barbara Streisand. I had practiced that song a million times and when the performance was done I was pleased. I went on to sing other times, with my sweet Aunt Sherron Galbraith always willing to accompany me on the piano. She is the most beautiful pianist I have ever heard.

When I left to go to High School I wanted so badly to be in choir. I didn't care about anything else but that. I had some friends that sat around me that were gabbers and wasn't into choir like I was. Mind you, I was a gabber,always have been, always will be, but this was different I wanted to be in choir, I just wanted to sing.

Then along came mean Mrs. Meanie. She hated me from the first day and never could or would explain why! She had her favorites and I clearly was not one of them. It was guilt by association for hanging with the chatty girls. She would not let me nor my parents plead my case. My mother told me that it was the only time she has ever wanted to hit a teacher. I kind of wish she would have now! I went from the best music teacher Mr. Rich right to the singing devil!!!! It was a power thing for her and she won by kicking me and all the others she didn't like out of her class.

I moved on and was involved with drama getting a scholarship to Snow College, thanks to another wonderful teacher I was blessed to have, Mr. Aaron! He had shown me a dramatic reading called "The Button" and that is what I took to state with me and took first place. Now here comes the funny part!!!!

When your child is feeling pretty good about themselves and the self esteem is looking pretty high for the moment. Don't forget to give them good honest advice. They will thank you later!

Dear mom and dad, have you ever heard of the word redirecting? Couldn't you have lied and told me we were going on vacation or that it was against our religion or something? Anything? This is what happened...

I was working at the Utah School for the Deaf and Blind when I was still in school. I wanted to go into special education, and I was learning sign language.

I noticed in the paper that the Miss Weber County was soon and so I thought that I would give it a try. I figured that my one year experience being a Bon Marche girl and doing their fashion shows had taught me enough poise to earn me a decent placing in the pageant. I had singing experience and had gained much confidence so I felt pretty prepared.I felt like this was something I could do and I was encouraged by my mother.

WHAT WAS I THINKING???? Within a week I had bought a dress, mind you , one that resembled what Morticia on the Adams Family wore except in maroon. All the danglies from the arms and all and I was set on my talent. I am sure all the other girls prepared for months for this pagent but heck I had it together in a week.

That night came the talent part... I saw my mom sitting in the crowd, smiling, proud of her daughter, she was proud me reaching for something higher. I think about it now and I can't remember my dad or sister or brothers there to support me. I'm sure now w that they were all home saying "I am so not going to watch her make a fool out of herself".

The music began to play and I began to sing... not only with my voice but with my hands. I was there to share my love of music with not only those that could hear but also with those that couldn't..... except no one in the crowd was deaf.

******(I am laughing so hard right now, that I am crying! I can't even see the laptop i'm laughing so freaking hard!) *******

I had decided to win the pageant by axing the Streisand song and instead singing "Born Free" . It was a new movie out and had a catchy tune so I ran with it. Singing with my voice and my hands all at the same time!!!!!! I remember the judges just looking straight at me and I'm sure trying not to bust out in laughter. What was I thinking when there wasn't a single deaf person in the crowd! I believe that the judges were onto me when I used several signs over and over again but for different words in the song. Ya see I didn't really practice much! Preparing ahead of time was just not my thing!

Amazing as it may seem... I didn't win, nor did I place, I think maybe my mom snuck me out the back door!

Ya see, I loved Barbara Streisand so much and when she sang it would bring tears to my eyes it was so beautiful. My parents loved to come and watch me sing and it would bring tears to their eyes because they thought it was so beautiful. I was their daughter and they loved me.

I believe there were tears that night that I performed at the pageant. Tears from the judges laughing hysterically at what they had just seen. Tears from my eyes wondering what in the hell did I just do!

My family and I have laughed so many, many times thinking about that night. Still, I laugh and ask my mom " why did you let me do that to myself?" She still reply's that she thought it was beautiful and then she busts out in laughter!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious! Hind sight is so amazing, isn't it.

    There are things I remember about my past that bring me up short and give me the sickening embarrassing feeling even years after.

    I bet you did great and Yes, I agree that it was probably a bit mortifying. I almost wish I could have been there. ALMOST.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too nice...but let's be honest, the only thing I did great that night is to give me a reason to laugh my guts out about it for years to come!!!!!

    ReplyDelete